CLARKSBURG, W. Va. (WOWK) — Felix McDermott was 82 years old at the time of his death at the VA Hospital in Clarksburg in April 2018. A decorated, career solider, he retired with the U.S. Army rank of Sergent.
“I mean dad had 20 plus years service. He was military through and through, his whole life. Even after he retired he got together with his army buddies,” said Melanie Proctor, Felix McDermott’s daughter.
McDermott was in the VA hospital but was improving enough to be released to the VA nursing home. But before that could happen, he had a sudden, unexplained drop in his blood sugar and he died. Nearly five-months later his family received a shocking visit.
“At the end of August when the FBI showed up at my house. They’re the ones that told me what was going on. That they had a person of interest and that they wanted to exhume dad and see if he was a part of this,” said Proctor.
The feds were suspicious because McDermott and several of the other victims, died of insulin overdoses. They were given shots by a hospital employee, even though they were not diabetic. And it gets worse, that female employee, who was fired and is now the ‘person of interest,’ did not have the medical certification she claimed.
When asked if she went from thinking her dad died from natural causes to him possibly being murdered, Proctor responded, “Yes, and that’s heartbreaking. And there’s no other way to explain it. It’s totally heartbreaking… I’m very angry. There’s no other word for it. I’m very angry.”
Proctor is fully cooperating with investigators and is telling her dad’s story to the press. She says he’d want her to pursue justice for him.
“Knowing my dad, he’s sitting up there saying, ‘get ’em! Make somebody pay for this,'” said Proctor.
She wants the person of interest arrested, prosecuted, and imprisoned.
Every family member, politician or lawyer WOWK 13 News Chief Political Reporter Mark Curtis has spoken with says pretty much the same things. That big changes need to happen here at the VA so that this never happens again. And it must be done in the memory of Sgt. Felix McDermott and all the other veterans who died here under these circumstances.
- Suspicious VA deaths could reach 21; more lawsuits and settlements filed
- Attorneys: settlements reached in 6 deaths at the Clarksburg VA Hospital
- Another lawsuit filed in death of WWII veteran at Clarksburg VAMC
- VA Inspector General issues report on Clarksburg VA pharmacy
- Federal government responds to two lawsuits related Clarksburg VA
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at Clarksburg VA hospital
- Fifth lawsuit filed in deaths at West Virginia VA hospital
- Former VA hospital employee pleads guilty in Clarksburg medical center deaths
- Second wrongful death civil lawsuit filed in case of the suspicious death of veterans
- WV Senators Capito, Manchin announce funding for state hospital program
- Death toll rises in Clarksburg VA Hospital investigation; new details on ‘person of interest’
- “Person of Interest” identified in VA Clarksburg suspicious deaths
- Federal Grand Jury Seated in VA Clarksburg Deaths
- Grand jury reportedly looking into Clarksburg VA deaths
- Details of another VA autopsy show a suspicious pattern
- WV Congressional delegation weighs in on VA Clarksburg deaths
- The U.S. Senate passes VA Accountability Act
- Bipartisan bill introduced to improve transparency at Clarksburg VA
- Last VA death probe raises new concerns about criminal charges
- Sixth victim identified in Clarksburg VA death investigation
- Victim’s family speaks out on Clarksburg VA Hospital homicides
- Senator Manchin renews calls for hearings on Clarksburg VA deaths
- Clarksburg VA suspicious death toll rises to 10
- “Person of interest” in VA deaths not a nurse’s aide as claimed
- Congress frustrated over VA death investigation in Clarksburg
- Congress opens investigation into VA deaths in Clarksburg
- 3rd death ruled homicide in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Disturbing new details in Clarksburg VA Hospital deaths
- Congress wants more answers on VA Hospital deaths in Clarksburg
- Federal authorities have person of interest in suspicious deaths at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- Congressional probe of VA deaths in Clarksburg will wait
- Profiling VA Victims: Felix “Kirk” McDermott
- Veteran identified as 5th suspicious death at Clarksburg VA Medical Center
- U.S. Attorney not giving in to pressure from Senator on VA investigation
- 4th veteran named as potential victim in Clarksburg VA investigation
- Attorney for Clarksburg VA Medical Center victims talks investigation
- New information on VA deaths at Clarksburg Medical Center
- Third family comes forward in VA Hospital death investigation
- More victims hiring attorney in VA hospital death cases
- West Virginia State Lawmakers want answers on VA deaths
- Sen. Manchin tours Clarksburg VA hospital after homicide allegations
- U.S. Attorney issues statement on investigation into deaths at the Clarksburg VA
- Second U.S. Veteran homicide confirmed at Clarksburg VA
- Lawyer: FBI involved in probe of deaths at VA hospital
- Sen. Manchin talks investigation into homicide at VA hospital
- Senator Manchin demands answers after death at Clarksburg VA Center
- Filing against VA Medical Center in Clarksburg claims patient was the victim of homicide