NEW YORK CITY, N.Y. (WOWK) – LSU standout quarterback Joe Burrow of Athens, Ohio is the winner of the 85th annual Heisman Memorial Trophy.
Burrow was awarded the trophy Saturday night at the Heisman Trophy announcement ceremony in New York City.
Burrow moved to Athens County, Ohio when his dad, former University of Nebraska and NFL player Jimmy Burrow, took at a job at the nearby Ohio University. Joe Burrow went to Athens High School where he led the school to three straight playoff appearances. During his career, he passed for more than 11,000 yards. As a high school senior, he was Ohio’s Gatorade Player of the Year.
After high school, he first played college football at Ohio State before making his way to Baton Rouge and Louisiana State University.
He is the second quarterback in LSU’s school history to record back-to-back 10-win seasons and he was a unanimous choice as SEC Offensive Player of the Year.
Burrow leads the nation with a 77.9% completion percentage and 48 touchdown passes, is second with 4,715 passing yards and 201.5 passing efficiency and is third with 10.74 yards per attempt. He has also led the Tigers to a 13-0 record, top ranking in the polls and berth in the College Football Playoff, where they are the number one seed and will face Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta, Georgia on December 28, 2019.
Other finalists for the award were Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, Ohio State defensive end Chase Young, Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts.
- West Virginia criminal justice reform gaining support from both sides of the aisle
- Details of another VA autopsy show a suspicious pattern
- UPDATE: At least 1 person dead following airplane crash in Taylor County
- West Virginia Senate passes bill to give students college, wage data
- Summary certified for proposed amendment to increase Ohio minimum wage
- West Virginia spring cleanup looking for volunteer groups
- Trump’s defense team presents case against impeachment as Democrats demand Bolton testify
- Court and Virginia streets intersection in Charleston reopened after accident
- Finding Faith: Kentucky inmates baptized with the hope to turn life around
- Nitro mother and daughter attend Grammy Awards after winning WOWK contest