NEW YORK (AP) – The NCAA has canceled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments because of the spread of coronavirus, putting an abrupt end to the season less than a month before champions were to be crowned.
The decision comes a day after the NCAA announced the games that were scheduled to start next week would go on, but played in mostly empty arenas.
That plan was scrapped as every major American sports league from the NBA to MLB put the brakes on its season due to concerns about the pandemic.
The NCAA canceled all of its spring championships in every sport, which includes hockey, baseball and lacrosse.
- Greenup County, KY man arrested for drug trafficking
- Coronavirus in Ohio Saturday update: 38,111 cases, 2,370 deaths reported
- Walmart pledges $100 million to advance racial equity
- Suspended Buffalo Police officers charged with second-degree assault
- Entire Buffalo Police Emergency Response Team resigns in support of suspended officers
- Virtual memorial service held for Annie Glenn
- War Story: World War II Veteran shares his journey through battle caused hate, to find love
- Tracking the Tropics: Tropical Storm Cristobal strengthening as it moves toward Louisiana
- West Virginia sees slight uptick in positive COVID-19 cases, total recovered continues to rise
- Ohio corrections employee tests positive for COVID-19, inmates quarantined