ATHENS, Ohio (AP) – The Ohio school district where Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow played football has named its high school stadium in his honor. The Athens City School District Board of Education in southeast Ohio posted a proclamation about the naming this week on Facebook.
It details Burrow’s accomplishments as quarterback for Athens High School, where he was named Ohio Mr. Football in 2014, and at Louisiana State University, where he’s quarterback for the undefeated Tigers. The board directed officials to plan a ceremony celebrating Burrow, who endeared himself by discussing poverty in the Appalachian region where he grew up in his Heisman acceptance speech.
- Mountaineer Foodbank hosts mobile food pantry for a community in need
- Shake Shoppe hosts fundraiser for WV Habitat for Humanity
- Multiple fire departments battle Kanawha County fire
- Senators push to make New River Gorge a national park and preserve
- President Trump authorizes additional disaster assistance for historic 2016 flood
- Basketball team wins fight to play in tournament
- Marshall University to play East Carolina in memory of 75 who died in plane crash
- WV House wants criminal investigation of hospital closures
- PTSD Bill passes WV House of Delegates
- “Friends” is getting a reunion