BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. (WOWK) – Just 9 days away from the Gasparilla bowl, Marshall football was up early this morning to practice. After practice, they spent four hours at the Barboursville Walmart to ensure that every child in the area will receive a gift this holiday season. The annual Kickoff for Kids event was once again a major success this year.
Head coach Doc Holiday on hand along with the entire team. In nearly every aisle of the store, you could spot Herd players.
From bikes to barbie dolls, and everything in-between as hundreds of toys were collected.
The players also having some at this event, interviewing Coach Holliday for a few moments. They also signed autographs and took photos with fans.
Team officials say this year’s toy drive raised more than $20,000.
Marshall President Jerry Gilbert was also in attendance, and even went shopping with a few of the players
The team does other events throughout the year, but this one is extra special because it truly hits home for some players on the roster.
- 13 things to do this weekend: Aug 7-9, 2020
- Kids can get it too: COVID-19 cases high among children
- Commissioners encourage residents to become foster parents, growing need after opioid epidemic
- Gov. DeWine negative for COVID-19 in second test
- President Trump signs executive orders to ban TikTok, WeChat in 45 days
- Kanawha County honors Hoppy Shores with dedication of courtroom
- Flash flood warning for parts of southeast Kentucky Thursday night
- 13 News Now webcast, Thursday, Aug. 6: Live at 9 p.m. EST
- Police investigating Charleston homicide, suspects on the run
- Army Captain honored for two decades of serving his country