UPDATE (2:13 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 8): An explosion and subsequent fire at a home in Dunbar was accidental, according to Deputy State Fire Marshall Jason Baltic.

Baltic told 13 News that their end of the investigation is done and it is now up to the gas and insurance companies.

DUNBAR, WV (WOWK) — Two people were rescued from a home after a gas explosion, and subsequent fire at a home.

It happened around six o’clock along Virginia Avenue in Dunbar, not far from the Tudor’s and Gino’s restaurant.

South Charleston and Dunbar Fire Departments responded to the scene. The people rescued had some minor injuries. The family’s pets were also rescued from the home by fire crews.

According to Mountaineer Gas a third party contractor was out doing work Monday. That work by the third party contractor hit mountaineer gas lines in two different locations causing leaks.

The gas company had reports of a smell of gas in the air earlier Monday and was out looking for leaks. According to a spokesperson the leaks were fixed around 9 p.m.

A spokesperson also said that crews will be out monitoring the situation overnight. People who were asked to leave their homes as a safety precaution have been allowed to return. Most of the roads in the area of Fairlawn Avenue from 10th and 22nd Street to Charles Avenue in Dunbar are back open, but some closures could still be in place.